Friday, January 25, 2013

The Gifts





Home made gifts are ruling my small kitchen table right now. I couldn't be happier. I am so in love with making him things that are going to last forever.


The couch we made him has been an INCREDIBLE success. With the help of his "Pop-tart" and "Gram-Crackers" power tools we were able to cut out the pieces from a piece of scrap wood in the basement! From there we took advantage of a super sale at Jo Ann Fabric and bought the foam, fabric and batting. 




After the assembly of the pieces I recruited my sister to give me a hand with the upholstery. It was my first time, and I don't know about you guys but I like to have a guiding hand when doing things for the first time.

I was so eager to get this thing done that we put the entire thing together in one day. I mean stayed up until 2 AM to get it finished, and after all that I HATED it. There was bunching in the fabric and it was just gross looking. 


So  I woke up in the morning and took every single last staple out to try it again. This time we made a slipcover for the whole thing that we just stapled to the bottom and its FABULOUS! This birthday is coming together. 

 I've also made him this super cool universe tie. And on the agenda is an apron and chef's hat. Those are still in pieces on my table, begging to be sewn together. In time little pieces of fabric....in time.



For good measure he's also started helping me make dinner and clean up dishes after dinner. He loves it!


And lastly- I can't stop listening to this song. So if you haven't listened to it, you probably should!


1 comment:

  1. My E loves the Lumineers! He put them on the iPod, and was listening to them one day...I had not heard the song...he was in the other room...the Lumineers were "Hey!"-ing, and I could not figure out where that barking dog was...or why was it barking in time to that music on E's iPod? In retrospect, kinda funny!

    Great Couch! Lucky boy (and parents)!

    ReplyDelete