Tuesday, May 8, 2012

How did we get here?

It's been too long since I've updated! The days have just gotten away from me I suppose.  The days, or just my time in general. Isn't it crazy how quickly time can get away from you? And when you want it to fly most it just drags on and on. This past weekend we took senior pictures for my brother- senior pictures. My sweet tiny brother is now going to be a high school graduate. WHAT?!?!  How in the hell did that happen?
Let me begin with saying that my little brother is the light of my life. He is special in every single way imaginable. For those of you who aren't familiar with my family he may look like any other 19 year old but he is far from it. He has some mental delays and falls into many spectrums of the autism department. He loves history and equality. He cares deeply for those around him and is so affectionate. He will still hold my hand in the grocery store. This is the essence of my little brother- kindness personified.
 And in just a few weeks I'm going to be watching him walk across that stage in his cap and gown. My face will be ridiculously contorted, I'll have an inhuman breathing pattern and to say I will be sobbing is an understatement. I can't believe we have finally made it here. Blink, and you are really truly missing it. Life just zooms past you.
How am I going to react to Harvey reaching this stage in his life? I'm sure it is going to be just as hard. Part of you rejoices that they've made it this far. That they are in one piece and have become a well rounded individual while the other half of you is so upset that they aren't that toothless little ball of baby in your arms any more. But what can you do? Look at them and smile, there's no stopping it. I just better make sure I don't blink.




2 comments:

  1. I can't say that I know exactly how you feel, but my cousin is graduating from high school the 19th. Part of me is so excited for her, and part of me is devastated. She is the first one of all my cousins that I can remember her life from the day she was born up until now... And she is about to graduate. Wasn't she just in diapers, projectile vomiting on me?? It is funny how life can pass us by so quickly!! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing with my niece! How did it happen?!!

    ReplyDelete