Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What matters in life...

Yesterday I had a sister day. Me and my lovely older sister went out for lunch and just some time together. It seems like the older you get the harder it is to "find the time" to do the things that you love. Why is it that when you were 10 it seemed like the day literally took a lifetime to end, but once you hit adulthood the days seem to literally end in the blink of an eye? Life is incredible in that sense. You really never know how much you love something until it is gone.
My sister and I got to discussing financial situations and what our dreams are for our futures. And after a nice long drink from my iced coffee and readjusting my arm that had fallen asleep after little man decided that it was best to sleep sitting up in moms arms I realized something. Money is worthless. I have never been a materialistic person. It just isn't in my nature. I've always been happiest at home, but with that stinky adulthood came these expectations. Not ones that I had put on myself, but ones that are bore into your brain from when you are little. Stupid things like- you have to buy a house. Do I? Really do I? I HAVE to buy a house? That's what is going to complete my life and make it absolutely 100% whole? Because from where I'm sitting, trying to buy a house right now seems like it would be much more of a headache then just living in our little duplex rental.
I like how people have told me that I'm "flushing my career down the drain" by deciding to be a stay at home mom. Well- here's the deal. There is NO job that is more rewarding then raising your child and doing it on your terms. Had I decided to go back to work yes we could have had more money, but the truth of the matter is that it would have been maybe an extra 200 dollars after all was said and done. I'd have 200 extra dollars for NOT being with my family and working 9 hour days at a place that didn't make me feel like I had accomplished anything at the end of the day.



Being at home, having less money has done more for our family then money ever could. You know what happens when you don't have money? You can't be lazy and order in. You have to cook dinner as a family. What a concept! What happens when you do not have the money to go to the movies? Why you stay home and play board games, or paint, or draw, or read! You do things like going for walks. I think my decision was one of the best I could have ever made. I made the decision to erase an entire salary from our lives and gained a whole new appreciation and understanding for what we are as a family unit. We talk, we enjoy one another. And you know what, I love it.

2 comments: